- Trees planted 2
- Available all year
- Duration 10
- Location Sólheimajökull outlet-glacier
- Age limit minimum age is 10 years
What you'll experience.
Ice climbing and glacier hiking are two of the most popular activities in Iceland. This tour combines the great experiences of ice climbing and glacier hiking at the Sólheimajökull outlet glacier. With a very low guest to guide ratio of only 4:1 you can guarantee enjoyable ice climbing at your level and pace. The small group size in this tour delivers an enhanced experiences and safety. No matter whether you are trying it for the first time or are an experienced climber. During your day you will enjoy the spectacular scenery of the very scenic South coast of Iceland. For example the ever changing glaciers, the amazing Skógafoss waterfall and other great attractions. Each group will be under the guidance of an experienced and fully qualified guide. This highly personalized ice climbing and glacier hiking tour offers amazing views and an exciting experience at one of Iceland’s magical glaciers.
In this tour, you do not have to worry about the equipment. Included in the price of the tour are waterproof mountaineering boots, technical glacier equipment and extra rain gear.
You can choose to meet the tour operators on location. Meeting place for this glacier hiking tour is at Sólheimajökull parking lot (Road#221) at 10:45. Trip duration is 5-6 hours (round trip from parking lot at Sólheimajökull).
Included in final tour price.
- Certified glacier guide
- Rain gear
- Mountaineering boots
- Private transfer
- Technical glacier equipment
What to bring.
- Personal outdoor clothing
- Water bottle
- Small backpack
- Glacier hike
- Sólheimajökull glacier
- The South Coast of Iceland
- Pick up at your accommodation in Reykjavík at 08:00. Please note that it can take about 20 minutes to pick everyone up.
- You will then proceed to drive along the spectacular South coast where you will see ash mountains, waterfalls and volcanos. The journey lasts about 2 hours with one pit stop about mid way where you can buy lunch and use the restroom.
- At about 10:45 you will reach the final destination of Sólheimajökull outlet glacier where you will gear up and start your hike to the glacier.
- You will then be taken through the crevassed world of ice until a suitable spot for climbing is found. During the ice climbing session your guide will teach the basic movement of ice climbing as well as give feedback to improve your skills. Due to the low client to guide ratio, multiple locations can be explored giving the opportunity to try out different levels of difficulty.
- After about 3,5 to 4 hours on the ice you will make your way back to the parking lot.
- From there there is a 15 min drive to Skógafoss waterfall where we make a short stop. Those who still have energy can climb up to enjoy the magnificent view of the waterfall from above.
- Afterwards you will be taken back to Reykjavík to your place of accomodation between 19:00 and 20:00.