- Trees planted 2
- Available jan, feb, mar, apr, sep, oct, nov, dec
- Duration 12 hours
- Location South coast of Iceland
- Number of participants Min. 1, max. 24
- Age limit minimum age is 10 years
What you'll experience.
This glacier hike and Northern lights winter day tour, combines these two classic activities. You will hike on one of Iceland’s majestic glaciers during daylight and hunt for the magical Northern lights during night.
After pick up you will make your way to the Sólheimajökull outlet glacier, past the world famous Eyjafjallajökull volcano. There you will enjoy a safe and easy glacier walk up on the ice cap. Your experienced and knowledgeable guide will introduce you to all the amazing features of the glacier. You will be introduced to phenomenon’s like water cauldrons, crevasses, ridges, and waterways, a unique opportunity to learn about these majestic giants. Once you descent from the glacier you will head towards the scenic waterfall Skógafoss. There you will enjoy a traditional Icelandic dinner at the local restaurant. After dinner you will head out into the night to search for the magical Northern Lights. You will also make a mandatory stop at the lit up Seljalandsfoss waterfall.
Please note that the Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed.
Included in final tour price.
- Guiding service
- Glacier gear
- Safety equipment
- Icelandic traditional dinner
- Drinks and dessert
What to bring.
- Warm clothing
- Rain gear (can be rented in booking form)
- Hiking boots (can be rented in booking form)
- Glacier hike
- Sólheimajökull glacier
- The South Coast of Iceland
- Skógafoss waterfall
- The Northern Lights
- Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Pick up from your accommodation in Reykjavík is between 11:30 and 11:50.
- Your first stop is at Sólheimajökull outlet glacier where you will go for a hike up on the majestic glacier.
- You will then proceed to Skógafoss waterfall for some stunning sceneries and a traditional Icelandic dinner.
- After dinner you will start your Northern lights adventure and pay a visit to the lit up waterfall Seljalandsfoss
- Afterwards you will head back to Reykjavík where you will be dropped of at your accommodation.
This tour is operated by our friends at Icelandic Mountain Guides. IMG manages an environmental fund that aims to preserve and restore the Laugavegur hiking trail, one of the most popular hiking trails in Iceland. They are also powerful advocates for environmental awareness on various platforms.
Icelandic Mountain Guides’ certifications: