- Trees planted 1
- Available jan, feb, mar, nov, dec
- Duration About 6 hours
- Location Vatnajökull glacier
- Number of participants Min. 1, max. 8
- Age limit Minimum age 14 years
What you'll experience.
In this tour, you will experience a unique, bright blue, natural ice cave in the majestic Vatnajökull glacier, Europe’s largest ice cap. The tour is tailored for those who want to venture off the beaten track to visit a more isolated ice cave which is a bit more difficult to access. This tour offers an unforgettable experience and fantastic photo opportunities, so don’t forget to bring your camera!
Your guide will take you for a visit to one ice cave that has been chosen according to safety and weather conditions. This cave is difficult to access and therefore offers a more quiet and personal tour for the participants and there are only 8 persons maximum in each group.
Your very knowledgeable guides, which specialize in glaciers and ice caves, will decide if it´s safe enough to do the tour according to weather and safety conditions. If the tour will be cancelled due to weather or safety conditions it is fully refundable. The ice cave tour can take between 5 – 7 hours. The meeting point is at Hali Country Hotel, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón. Driving to the location of the ice cave can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave can take 45 – 90 minutes. you will spend approximately 1 hour in the cave.
You should have in mind that the walking on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain and sometimes on a glacier. These conditions can prove challenging so participants are required to be in good health.
Included in final tour price.
- Climbing helmet and a headlamp (always)
- Crampons to walk on the glacier (if needed)
- Walking harness (if needed)
- Ice axe (if needed)
- Light weight rubber boots to be able to cross a small stream to go in the ice cave (if needed)
- Micro spikes to walk on slippery rocky terrain (if needed)
- Small 22 l bag that can be put on the back to carry the rubber boots (if needed)
What to bring.
- Warm Clothes
- Good, waterproof hiking boots
- Base layer
- Gloves & hat/balaclava
- Food/high energy snacks
- Blue ice cave
- Super jeep ride
- Glacier walk
This tour is operated by our friends at Glacier Adventure. The company is owned and run by two local families born and raised in the region. Their goal is to share their love and knowledge of the region with their guests and to safely introduce them to some of Iceland´s most stunning sights.
Glacier Adventure's certifications: